What is the Difference between Emissions Testing and a Smog Check?
Emissions Testing vs. Smog Check
State and local mandated emissions testing meets the EPA Tier 2 standard, while smog testing meets California's higher standard for EPA Tier 3.
How Do I Know If I Need a Smog Test?
Your DMV registration renewal notice will indicate "Smog Check Required" if your vehicle needs a smog check.
When Is a Smog Check Required?
- If you are selling a car or truck that is more than four years old
- When you register an out-of-state vehicle for the first time in California, you will need a smog check
- Every other year for vehicles that are more than six years old
When Is a Smog Check Not Required?
- 100% electric-powered vehicles do not need a smog check
- Motorcycles do not need a smog check
- Got a classic car? Vehicles that are model-year 1975 and older do not require a smog check
- Vehicles six model years and newer do not require a biennial Smog check
- Selling your car? Cars that are four model years and newer do not require a change-of-ownership Smog check
- Diesel-powered trucks that are model year 1997 and older
- Diesel-powered trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 14,000 pounds
join our team
We are currently on the lookout for the following: